Sunday 12 August 2012

Ghost: The Cyberworld Of the Phantom




I am the first to admit that I did not know what to expect from the Korean Cyber drama "Ghost" which just concluded on the SBS station.  I have found in the past that dramas based on the American CSI and NCIS like programmes in K drama world tend to leave a lot to be desired and I usually do not enjoy them.  So what attracted me to "Ghost".  Simply put, So Ji Sub.  What can I say, he is a whole lot of pretty, and I am not ashamed to admit that I watched a drama solely based on an actor.  He was great in the 2011 movie "Always/ Only You" with Han Hyo Joo (Shining Inheritance, Dong Yi), not to mention the dramas of "I'm Sorry I Love You" and "What Happened in Bali".  He does that dark, mysterious look so well, and I mean look at that. 

That look while wearing a black suit, how could I not watch this drama?  Do I really need to say more about the pretty?  However, I was pleasantly surprised right from the start.  Episode 1 had me at the edge of my seat and as I was pulled into the world of cyber crime investigation, I found myself hooked week to week. No matter how many times, I tell myself to wait until a Korean drama has finished airing before I watch it, somehow I always fall into the trap of watching some of them while airing and suffering for the agonising torture of having to wait week to week.

A murder investigation, a hacker, and a mysterious criminal dubbed the phantom, not to mention the fantastic musical score from one of my favourite operatic pieces "The Phantom of the Opera".  Though of course, at times I was screaming at the detectives use your brains, this is obviously a trap, or that person is in danger, throughout the entire series I was at the edge of my seat filled with intrigue.  Not only was So Ji Sub great in this, but Choi Daniel's cameo performance was exceptional, as the genius hacker "Hades" I loved him thoroughly.  After all what is hotter than a guy on a computer breaking all the rules.  Kwak Do Won, whom I had never seen in any other drama before this, was also exceptional as "Mad Cow".  The audacious and tenacious police officer, who was still fun and interesting on the team.   Lee Yeon Hee  (East of Eden, Paradise Ranch) also blended in well, as the "Useless" but effective female cyber agent.  I was just thoroughly impressed with how the drama approached the issue of cyber crime, both instructing and intriguing at the same time.  All I can say is, I will never look at my PC the same again.

I have to admit, that with a hacking theme, this drama did cause me to cast my mind back to the Japanese drama of "Bloody Monday", however, besides the signature appearances of the hacker's secret handles such as "Falcon" in Bloody Monday and now Hades in Ghost, the dramas are on two different spectrum and that is where the similarities end. 

The use of the individual cases to further build on the larger case of finding the phantom was executed extremely well, and I enjoyed that we knew who the baddie was  and watched as the detectives came to conclusion.  It reminded me of those Columbo movies where you see the crime being committed and then watch as Columbo solves it.  In those instances, I really don't mind knowing the conclusion and working to see how it all fits together.

Ghost was a puzzle to solve.  Every episode added another piece to the story.   It was also fantastic writing that allowed for the elements of episode 1 to link back to the conclusion in episode 20, many police dramas in K drama world do not seem to do that. 

On the fan service side, for those of you, who wanted the ab shot that So Ji Sub is so well known for I am afraid it doesn't exist. Ghost is a serious drama, that shied away from not all the pretty.  Besides, him in a suit every episode was quite pleasing all on its own.  I mean the man is fine no matter what he wears.  Also those dark brooding eyes, that give that deliver the tortured strong silent type, don't require the usual skin shot.  For those looking for the melo and romantic storyline, I am afraid that you will also be disappointed on that front.  There was of course some romantic tension between the male and female leads, but the series was not about that.  I applaud the writers for not going there.  The show did not need it.  It was all about finding the phantom and avenging the death of those gone before.  I found that more fulfilling. If they wanted to make a season 2 and then throw in the romantic line there, I could live with that.  But for season 1, it was definitely better without it.

On a whole, I would have to say that overall "Ghost" gets a 4 out of 5 on the Bel scale.  I enjoyed the cinematography, acting and storyline.  Also, as the first K-drama action and crime drama on a non-cable channel that I have been able to watch without getting bored or lost, it gains extra points for me.  I definitely recommend it. 

According to Bel: Go enjoy some Ji Sub hotness, you know you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment