Saturday 8 September 2012

Deugeun Deugeun: The Greatest Love

I think I am in love.  Where can I find a Cha Seung Won?   Seriously, where can I find one?  I am in serious admiration of this actor.  So far, the two dramas I have seen with him have just made me smile. 

The drama the Greatest Love is perhaps one of the Hong Sisters greatest works.  LOL!!! Yeah, I know it's a bad play on words but I just had to go with it.  Anyway, on to the review.


This drama just pulled me in from beginning to end, letting me laugh, chuckle, giggle and laugh some more.  Just thinking about it makes me happy and I am writing this review with a grin on my face.  The Greatest Love focuses on the tale of Goo Ae Jung (Gong Hyo Jin), a has been K-pop star who now spends her life trying to stay in the celebrity circles (solely to pay her bills and look after her family) by doing outrageous activities on variety shows.  She is as unpopular as she was once popular and is virtually an obscure relic from her past days of fame.  Then on the other side of the fame wheel, we have Dokko Jin (Cha Seung Won), the oh so popular actor that everyone knows and wants a piece of.  He endorses every product you can imagine from vitamin water, to shampoo to hiking equipment.  You name it, his face is on it.  He is the friendliest and warmest star that anyone could meet, that is in the public eye.  In the comfort of his own environs he is an irritable pain to his manager- Kim Jae Suk (Im Ji Kyu) but in a comedic sort of way, not the "Oh! what an a%$ kind of way". 

Due to the red line of K-drama fate these two are placed in a situation where they run into each other, and Ae Jung happens upon some crucial information that can change Dokko's image in the public eye.  She contemplates black mailing him for half a second, but that's not her style.  On a radio broadcast she helps to boost his image even further and overall she sparks some sympathy in Dokko, who ends up being her "Call a Friend" in one of her crazy variety shows.  And there, the Greatest Love between the two begins. 

Dokko Jin and Ding Dong in one of their many serious conversations
There are comedic twists at every corner as Dokko falls in love with Ae Jung without the slightest inclination as to why.  His complete and utter shock at the process is what makes this drama.  I think if any actor other than Cha Seung Won was in this role, this drama would have died.  The skilled writing of the Hongs plus his interpretation of the character were fantastic, not to mention the exquisite directing.  I especially love the interaction between Ae Jung's nephew and Dokko Jin.  Dokko's nickname of the boy as "Ding Dong" is so stuck in my brain that I honestly could not recall what the nephew's name really was. 

The entire development of the love story was another beautiful element.  The use of the heartbeat to literally symbolise falling in love, and the fact that Dokko monitored his heart so seriously due to his previous heart surgery, just added to the depth of the drama.  The OST was phenomenal as well, and I enjoyed the layout of Dokko's apartment.  The supporting characters in this drama were just as funny as the leads, with Dokko's manager, Ae Jung's best friend and Ae Jung's brother all bringing their own brand of crazy to the equation.  Both second leads male and female did an excellent job as well, and I have to admit that I didn't have a strong dislike for a second female lead for once. The Hongs' and their unique brand of K-drama hijinks is enthralling.  I have to say that I will re-watch this when I need something fun and comedic to watch. It gets a four and half star rating from me.

According to Bel:  No greater love for this drama could exist elsewhere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment