Friday 7 September 2012

Jang Geum: The Jewel in the Palace



So sageuk time again.  Yes, I watch a lot of sageuk, haven't I already explained this?  This time we look at Dae Jang Geum (English title Jewel in the Palace), although if we wanted to translate literally it means Great Jang Geum and what a great woman she was too.  This particular drama has been around for almost ten years, but it hasn't lost its popularity.  In fact, it seems to have gained popularity and spreads farther overseas than any other K-drama ever has.  I have to give it kudos for that, since that's not an easy feat.  Anyway, on to the review.

Dae Jang Geum follows the life of Jang Geum (Lee Young Ae) as she grows from being a simple palace maid to the king's physician.  It is an amazing and heartwarming journey, with the typical political shenanigans of a Joseon era drama.  Jang Geum gets caught up in the political struggle but remains steadfast in her desires and dreams.  The loyalty and friendships that develop along Jang Geum's journey are also so tightly and neatly woven, that you enjoy watching people beginning to accept her and help her on her journey.  Though this drama is not one of my must watch sageuks I can understand why it is so immensely popular.  You learn so much about the Joseon era, from an intriguing and endearing journey of one woman and the impact that her life has had on others.  If Dong Yi hadn't spoilt me perhaps I would love Dae Jang Geum more.  The acting is phenomenal and the directing top notch (although I wouldn't expect any less from Lee Byung Hoon since he directed Dong Yi as well (Haha, if I wanted to get technical he directer Dae Jang Geum first, but forget that we are talking in the order of how I watched things here. Hehe). 

The love story in Dae Jang Geum is also very appealing, since it moves away from the overused King falls for palace maid trope and makes palace maid a concubine, even though they demonstrate that King does indeed fall for Jang Geum, she instead falls in love with one of the military officials.  I quite enjoy that change.  It doesn't hurt either that the military official Min Jung Ho is played by Ji Jin Hee whom I loved as the King in Dong Yi.  His versatility as an actor to play an intense hero in one drama and a weakling in another is fascinating to me.  

Another aspect of Dae Jang Geum that I enjoyed was the cuisine.  It was extremely interesting to see the variety and quality of Korean dishes in this drama, and furthermore the medicinal properties of many foods.  It was like getting an educational lesson without the stress of a class.  Hehe.  I learnt so much and didn't feel irritated by it. 

It was a drama that I enjoyed watching from beginning to end, and Jang Geum's journey soon became my journey. Therefore, for its depth and reach I give Dae Jang Geum four stars on the Bel scale. 

According to Bel: It's a gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment